Monday, January 19, 2009

gym buffs

Today is one of those days that I'm unexplainably tired.
That's all that comes to mind. I just wanna sit at home and lazily flip the pages of my novel while eyeing the darkening sky outside my window.

An odd fascination of mine has been to observe people working out at the gym (or the PEC as we Queens students call it). I know, it sounds like I'm such a creeper but really, I'm not. It's just when I have nothing to read or cannot turn the pages of any book when I'm huffing and puffing away at a machine, I turn my attention to look at the others around me working out. It always amuses me to find some individual in the room full of sweat and loud whirring noises, smiling away whilst they work out. It amazes me because ... well, the face I make when I work out is by far not close to pleasant or even a smile. Then again, I wonder if the smiles on these people's faces are just a natural bodily function of their physical exertion. Regardless, I commend those who are able to grit their teeth and make others around them feel a bit happier about their physical state... I know, a stretch of logic but, really, it does make me feel better to have someone smile (at me.. or in my general direction) regardless of whether or not I know them.

Then again, there are those people at the gym who make me cringe inwardly and outwardly. The PEC is notorious for its "grey shirts" -- sad substitutes of exercise apparel because they are made out of cheap cotton and are a distinguished heather grey colour that simultaneously changes color and texture when a person uses too much 'physical force' in his/her exercise routine (aka: in layman terms, the shirt ends up stinking a huge stench whilst also repelling those around said person because of the discoloration of the shirt). These are the people I tend to avoid at the PEC ... or try at all costs to anyway. I won't sign up to a machine next to a 'heather grey in transition' shirt guy and I will deliberately hold my breath or breathe through my mouth in spastic motions until said guy (or girl) moves away .... or pray to God that some wind will sweep through the workout room to clear the air of the incredible sweat smell perforating from those around me.

Finally, there are the Lululemon spandex wearing girls. Now these girls are unavoidable. Everywhere you go at Queens, they're there. It's like Queens wouldn't be Queens without these girls. Then again, who am I to judge since I own a couple Lululemon things but I am far too embarassed and vain to expose my touche in public whilst sweating the life out of me at the gym. (you get me?) I mean, if I was using the ellipitcal for example and also fully decked out in Lululemon tight-ness... I would just ... well, I would just end up being far too self-conscious of my body rather than conscious of the 25minutes I have left on the machine. Maybe I'm not making that much sense but I don't see the sense in wearing 1) skimpy tight clothing at the gym 2) working out wearing said skimpy clothing. Really now, really now!? You're going to be sweating like a pig at the gym and will inevitably not look very attractive doing so. And if you cringe about the whole sweating like a pig business, I beg to ask, "WHY even work out anyway if you're not going to sweat?!?!"

I feel like there are more gym buffs out there that sympathize with my poor eyes everytime I frequent the PEC... and I also feel like there are other gym 'personalities' out there that I've yet to spy. Until next time!