Sunday, October 11, 2009

expecting the unexpected

Is it wrong to have expectations for a person?
I find myself from time to time (actually, from frequent time to time) being confronted with the harsh realities of ... life, myself, and people.
Life being the fact that it is jam packed with constant activities and general busyness. Given the day to day and week to week of any one's life, there just seems to be barely any time to stand still.
Myself being the fact that I unconsciously and consciously place a lot of expectations and trust in people. And time and time again, I am disappointed and hit in the face with well..
Reality.
Reality being that people are fallen. People are forgetful. People are self-centered and self-absorbed and selfish and every adjectival phrase to describe how utterly self-focused people are.
Friends whom I thought would care, have, for the most part, not.
People whom I think the world of ... have, for the most part, not meant anything to anyone at the end of the day.
I put myself up on this huge pedestal when I really am not that awesome at all.
I put others up on this huge pedestal when they really aren't that great at all.
It's funny.. But is it wrong to expect things from people? I keep getting told that it IS. A negative thing but somehow, a part of me thinks, it's natural and okay to have expectations from people.

We weren't made to be like this hence why we (or maybe, just me) expect perfection, or some higher good, from people. And hence, why we keep getting disappointed and discouraged because the reality is, people are FAR from perfect.

I'm learning more and more not to expect perfection from people. But, I'm still hopeful of the day when people will be decent, loyal, trustworthy, loving, respectful and good to others and themselves, rather than doing things or 'loving others' out of duty or obligation or resentment or self-centered motives ... or not even loving others at all.

Until then, I guess I'll just keep having my heart shattered and broken over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment